Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Summer Part II

What a month. Hot. Humid. The kids have been pretty good about it, better than I. I just refuse to step outside after 11am and don't even cook using the oven anymore. This too shall pass. Jared started his new job working for a dentist north of us. He has been enjoying it and though his work days are long, he has a four day work week. To go from 6 days a week to 4 days a week has been such a difference for all of us! We love having him home more. Tatum has turned into a little daddy's girl since then.

We started this month in California. My family had a reunion there and rented a house on the beach. It was so fun! The kids absolutely loved the beach. They built sand castles and animals, collected seashells, caught sand crabs, watched the fisherman on the pier, jumped in the waves and just had a grand old time. Jared even toyed with the idea of becoming a pro boogie boarder.



















Tatum and her cousin Emmy
















Kaia, Brandt and Uncle Roger going for a swim
















Kaia showing Grandpa her sand crabs





Sand shark at the pier



















Weenie roast and smores...















We took the kids to Legoland which was perfect for Kaia and Brandt. Kaia was tall enough to ride on all the "big" roller coasters, and Brandt could do most of them with the help of some extended family. Daddy spiked the hair, Aunt Kelly took her socks off and balled them between his foot and shoe, and Aunt Bekah's job was to distract the worker measuring the kids.












Brandt with his idol Aunt Kelly









Tatum missing all the fun with Aunt Celeste


















Kaia has been gearing up for school to start in about 2 weeks. She is still a great help around the house and such an early bird. I don't even know what time she gets up in the morning. She is always awake when I roll out of bed (which is early anyways) just waiting for me to get up. She has turned into our little meteorologist and reads the weather section of the newspaper every day. She knows the highs and lows for the week and also knows where it is raining or even warm/cold fronts across the U.S. She doesn't miss a thing. She asked me what a "status symbol" was the other day. Um, yeah...



Brandt has actually been learning to read. I told him if he learned how to read a book I would take him to McD's for a Happy Meal which is a big treat around here. So he did and since he's interested now we are running with it. He is our little scientist. The only books he will check out at the library are non-fiction. Every week he wants to learn about something different. Fireflies, space shuttles, killer whales, North Carolina. Pretty funny kid.

He and Kaia are just the best of buds. I look at these two play together and can't help but smile. They are both so different, but comfortable in their differences and quite independent as well. They get along so great without compromising their own idiosyncrasies.
Brandt will eat his dessert first, Kaia her veggies.

While Kaia will choose blue, Brandt will choose pink (I know, I know).

On the rare occasion Kaia has to go to timeout, she obediently walks there when I tell her. Brandt has to be dragged kicking and screaming several times each day.

Kaia is always the first one ready, Brandt always the last.

Brandt likes vanilla, Kaia chocolate.

Kaia likes jam, Brandt likes peanut butter.

Kaia needs to be asked once to do something, Brandt asked a dozen times and then finally threatened.

I am going to enjoy watching them grow up together and see how their relationship changes.


Tatum's personality just grows by leaps and bounds. Her dad and I swear she is Brandt chapter 2. So much like he was at the same age. She'll do anything for a laugh. She is so darn cute and her hair is getting so curly and blond from the sun. She is alot of work but alot of fun too. She starts nursery this week (hooray!) so we'll see how that goes. She loves her older sister and brother and always wants to be involved with whatever they are doing, which isn't a mutual feeling most of the time. So she has learned to tease. She'll run in, grab something they are playing with take off laughing. We are all learning :)
And finally, college football is here again!! :)



7 comments:

Celeste said...

Glad to see you got the pics in California. I think some of them turned out pretty cute. I especially love that one of Jared and Tatum. I might have to put that one on my website, if that's okay with you guys. What a rare occasion, to see her smile in a picture! :)

Sorry it took so long to get them to you. The past few weeks have, well, er... been quite a rollercoaster physically and emotionally. Much, much better now. I am hopefully through the worst of it. Love you all.

Celeste said...

Oh, and way to go Brandt for starting to read! You are so lucky to have Kaia. I keep telling myself our next one is going to be just like her and a lot easier than Ty has been. Yeah, I know, dream on...but one can hope, right?

danberg said...

Fun times! I feel the same way about the heat. It makes everything so much harder to do! The humidity is awful though!

We miss you guys, and can't wait to see you again.

Lots of Love,
Bekah Dan Emmy

The Wright Fam said...

Looks like a blast!! I LOVE your new fam pics too, they are adorable!

Craig Hassell said...

Rach...your family is so cute! I especially loved the black and whites of Brandt and Kaia on the beach-priceless! I don't know how you do all you do, you are an amazing mom! And after hearing about Brandt reading...makes me think... maybe I should be working harder with Sadie to even learn the alphabet....they are the same age right?! What a little smartie!

Kelly said...

oh my gosh, your posts always make me laugh out loud. We love the kids and all their stories you tell!! We miss you guys alot! California really was a blast, wasn't it?

and yes, I dont really like who they picked for Edward. Im just praying that the movie doesnt flop. ok?? THERE! Now I said it!!

Kelly said...

ps

I really take pride in my "dramatic" story telling abilities so im glad you liked it. My kids will be very entertained someday!