Friday, August 29, 2008

August




















The kids went fishing for the first time this month and each caught their first fish. They've gone a couple of times on the weekend with their dad while Tatum and mommy run some errands. They have gotten to be pretty good little fisherman, and can cast with the best of them after some dangerous first attempts :) The night after their first fishing adventure Brandt drew this picture in his bed we found after he had gone to sleep. I thought it was too cute--


Kaia is an official student now! Twelve hours before school starts I find out that the school has switched to all day, which I am not a fan of. But what do you do the day before school starts?! So it has been an adjustment for everyone. For me because I thought I would have another year before giving her to the world in a sense. I just hadn't prepared myself to let her go just yet. On the other hand, at least I can say I have done my absolute best with her for almost six years and spent every moment of that with her, and in a way I couldn't have prepared myself (or her) any better. She is adjusting pretty well for never having been to school a day in her life. She is tired when she comes home and for now just tolerates school. We asked her if she had made any friends yet (since she doesn't know a soul at the school she attends) and she mentioned a boy who sat at her table named Brendan. My mind flashes back to that first morning when I dropped her off, to a little boy who sat next to her who, after sitting down, promptly grabbed the can of newly sharpened pencils, places them sharp side up and throws the whole can at the ceiling, scattering them all over the room. Kaia said, "He's even sillier than Brandt!" Then it clicked. Of course. She gravitates to the one person most like her brother :) Brendan soon got moved to another table after he and Kaia were sent to a timeout together. Kaia's explanation--"It was his fault! He wouldn't leave me alone!" Okay...



Brandt has been surprisingly great without Kaia at home. He always has entertained himself pretty well and likes that he now doesn't have to take turns with things, like put all the ingredients in the mixing bowl and always pushing the garage button to close it. He starts school (a local preschool) next month and is SO excited. He keeps a countdown of days. He wants to be like his big sis. I guarantee he won't even look back where Kaia cried and couldn't let go that first morning. So different :)

Making purple pancakes for Kaia (I can just see your disapproving shake of the head Lois :). They always have to have Mickey Mouse ones...

And how do I even describe how Tatum fits in the scheme of it all? She just dominates. My time, my energy, my life. She has turned into one extraordinary mess maker. I can't tell you how many glasses of milk, boxes of crackers, napkins, legos, crayons, kleenex, bowls of cereal, etc. I clean up every week. She loves to dump anything she can get a hold of. I leave the table for a second or the older kids forget to clean up their dishes and I turn my head, Tatum is up to the kitchen table or counter lightening quick. She can be so cute and sweet, but so stubborn and tempermental. She is quite the little manipulater already. If there is something she wants that she can't have she tries everything. "Cheese" (please), crying/tantrums, hitting, and she even has a little pouty face she'll throw at you for sympathy. She still refuses to fold her arms for prayer time and instead usually goes around to each member of the family sitting reverently and yells their name until they look and her and then she laughs victoriously. She just adds a totally different dimension to our family and honestly we can't imagine our family without her. She is always making us laugh.

I am so excited for fall, but I will miss a little of summer, as Tatum is modeling above. Bathing suits, sun and water, the smell of sunscreen and popsicles on my kids...so long summer (if we ever start hitting below 95 degrees!)!!

8 comments:

sarahtuckett said...

So Fun -- I can't believe Kaija is in school. Time flies too too fast. Hope to see you guys soon. We miss you, we have entered the blog world, you will have to check us out.

danberg said...

Wow! how exciting, and this week you will have two kids in school! Love you guys, hope to see you soon! Tatum is such a cutie.

Kelly said...

hahaha.. I love that prayer story. Her and Ty would have an entire house turned upside-down in less than 30 seconds! Congrats to the kids for catching their first fish!! Love it! Miss you guys!

Steph Kjelstrom said...

Sammy refused to fold his arms for about 6 months then decided to give in. Its so fun to read about all your monthly adventures!

Celeste said...

Yeah I can't believe Kaia is in school already either. I bet you are gonna miss her help around the house. :) I must say though, I definitely will not be missing summer. I'm excited to see it go, but its not going soon enough.

nannybent1 said...

That is so cool the kids caught
their first fishes and it was on
my birthday even... I remember
when you were little Rachel and you and your sister Bekah came camping with your Grandma and Grandpa and we took you fishing on your Grandpa's boat for the first time and you said "wow they really do have fish in lakes, they do exist". I gathered by your comment that your Dad did not have the fish catching genes like your Grandpa did..Because you both caught a bunch of fish on that trip.
Well love to you all,
Always,
Nanny

Monica said...

Hi Rachel (and Jared)! In case you were checking your site stats and saw a strange link from Colorado, I wanted to let you know I was checking out your site and not some stranger. :) This is Monica Johansen (but its Benway now), I followed your link from Tallie's site. Your kids are way too cute! It's so fun to see how everybody is doing. Anyway, just wanted to say hi!

Rachel said...

Hey you guys! I happened to see a link to you from our good friends the Richins and thought, "could it be them?" and it was! Jim and I have wondered a few times where you guys ended up. It's so fun to see you again! Do you remember us from BYU married ward and camping/hiking the narrows?